Friday, March 15, 2013

No time like the present

Today was my rest day but I decided to take Mac out for a run.  
I thought, I'll just do an easy 2-3 miles and call it good.  My long run was supposed to be Sunday (5 miles).  We got to the trail, I started running and it was so nice I just kept going. 
 It is an out and back trail and when I went 2 miles I figured I'd at least be doing 4 because I still had to get back so why not just go the whole 5? 
So I did.

What is this? Could it be...sunshine?

The trail has a 1,200 foot elevation gain (and not a gradual gain, but an all-at-once hill that is covered in sand and is a b**** to run up) but even with that my pace was faster than the
3.5 I did yesterday.  And faster than my first long run 2 weeks ago
(which was a 4-miler).  And my splits weren't half bad either (a huge slow-down at the elevation change, but other than that relatively close together).  I'm still not at race pace-- today was 11:40 
and I want to be at 10:30 for the half marathon in May. 
That's a big difference, but I'm only 3 weeks into training so it's doable.
And my pain is starting to decrease in my knees.  I'm able to run a bit farther before they start to hurt.  
And I've found that if I just walk a bit (instead of stopping and stretching) I can start running soon after and they're better.  The walking part sucks, but it is what it is.  As long as I am still able to get out there and run :)

Quite possibly the best thing about running is how tired it makes Mac.  I feel like a better pet parent when he is exhausted :)

Mac watching me stretch after our run.  It's been a while since I've been able to take him for longer runs (or even walks) so I guess he is reconditioning, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment