Saturday, March 9, 2013

Victory is MINE!





What a beautiful day in Eastern Washington today!! I actually debated sunscreen as I began my run today, but in the end opted out for some good ol' vitamin D exposure.  
I started my day out working, after which I planned to head straight to the start of my run and GO! All morning the only thing I could think of was finishing work (even though I LOVE what I do) and hitting the trail.  I brought food with me to make sure I was fueled before I ran (I think that is a big problem for me--with Weight Watchers looming over me I don't think I am eating right before and after my runs and causing my own fatigue....but that's another story) and made sure to eat it early enough that it wouldn't effect me whilst doing said run. Finally work finished, I changed and headed out.
I ran the same 4 mile out and back I ran last weekend for the sheer ease and beauty of it.  I told myself this time I would not walk and I DIDN'T.  But I must admit that I stopped a few times when my knees started hurting, stretched for 10-30 seconds and then kept running. I felt jazzed the whole run, found myself smiling and waving at everyone and even got a high-five from another runner when we both reached the top of a hill.  THIS is why I love running!!
After my four miles were up, I walked around downtown a bit, found a spot not covered in geese poop to do my stretching, and walked around a bit more. And guess what?? Not only did I have fun, but I beat my time from last weekend by 31 seconds! Say what?! 
I'm still not fast, it still wasn't as easy as I would like it to be, but it's an improvement. Both in my attitude and in my body and that's the whole point.  I don't run to look good or do it for other people (I had to tell myself this as I got passed several times today), I run to better myself and today I felt like I did that.  Today, victory was mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment