Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Perseverance

Just finished a morning run with Jessica and her husband, Sean.
I forgot how much I missed running in the morning.
It was a beautiful day and we got in a little over four miles along the river
with the sun shining on us...perfect way to start a day!
I'm planning on taking Mac out later today for, at the minimum, a walk and
quite possibly another run. 
That's one thing I love about morning runs--you have your afternoon/evening
to get in a second workout. Or, you get it out of the way and 
can relax the rest of the day.  

Monday I did my long run and boy was it l-o-n-g.  
Before I even started I didn't want to do it.  My body was tired but I made myself
get out there and move.  It took me longer than I wanted, I walked quite a bit
more than I wanted (dang knees) but I did it.  I set out with the goal of doing an 8-miler
and that's what I did. I didn't break any records, but I learned a lesson in perseverance.
At 4 miles, I wanted to stop.
At 6 miles I told myself that was an admirable run, time to stop.
But I kept going and stuck to my plan.  I know there will be a point (or two or three...)
in my half marathon when I think those same things.
Now I know I don't have to listen.
I know how to keep going.

 Mac enjoyed the first bit of it, then after a while
I could tell he was wondering why we weren't stopping, especially when
I had to double back a couple of times to make sure I got all the miles in. 
He got a rest day yesterday (I don't want to overdo him), but I can tell he is antsy
to get back out there.  Luckily for him, so am I.

Mac proved his point. He took my arm band so I couldn't run anymore.  Good thing we were already done.

Once he realized we were done, he took a breather.

No comments:

Post a Comment